At Newark Orchard school we are committed to the wellbeing of our students and equipping them with the knowledge and skills to make the right choices and to keep themselves safe. The staff know the students well and recognise when extra support is needed during difficult times. Alongside our safeguarding curriculum we have four Designated Safeguarding Officers whose role is to support the staff with any concerns and liaise with other agencies where appropriate. We also have two Mental Health Ambassadors who have completed their Mental Health First Aid certificates and champion positive mental health across the school. As part of our commitment we worked towards the All Together programme which is an initiative by the Anti-Bullying Alliance to ensure schools have effective practice to prevent and manage bullying in schools. It has a specific focus on supporting SEND students. After the initial training, we completed an audit to see what we did well in school and what we needed to develop. We put together an action plan which included:
- Leading staff training on the All Together programme, ensuring they have access to resources on the schools portal
- Conducting a planning scrutiny to ensure the effective teaching and learning of our safeguarding curriculum
- Updating the schools ‘anti-bullying’ policy
- Co-ordinating a whole school ‘Healthy minds’ focus week
- Developing positive strategies to promote resilience of our students
- Ensuring all incidents of ‘bullying’ are reported, recorded and managed in an effective way and that steps are taken to learn from the incidents
- Parent and pupil opinion questionnaires
The ‘Healthy Minds’ week included activities such as:
- Learning about friendship
- Understanding emotions
- Taking part in mindfulness activities
- Building self-esteem and confidence
- Over the next year, the above were put into place and the evidence was collated and a final audit was created to achieve the Gold Award.
Listed below are the safeguarding curriculum maps for each key stage which ensure we offer opportunities for all of our students. Please click on links below to view/download.